Location: Arkansas, United States
I'm just your average, everyday, married, thirty-something, right wing, computer programming, 2 dog-having, righteous dude in the Southlands. I love to spend time with my wife and dogs, love electrinic gizmos, watch old school sci-fi & still manage to play some soccer on the weekends. I'm a progressive geek, if you would.
> see my complete profile <

Get Firefox!
XBOX Live



  Help the Hurricane Survivors!

27 June 2005

Old man kills Leopard with bare hands

This is just crazy. I hope that I have this much chuzpah when i'm 73...

From the AP Wire:

A 73-year-old Kenyan reached into the mouth of an attacking leopard and tore out its tongue to kill it.

Farmer Daniel M’Mburugu was tending to his potato and bean crops near Mount Kenya when the leopard charged out of the grass and leapt on him. M’Mburugu had a machete in one hand but dropped that to thrust his fist down the leopard’s mouth. He gradually managed to pull out the animal’s tongue, leaving it dead.

“It let out a blood-curdling snarl that made the birds stop chirping,” he said. The leopard sank its teeth into the farmer’s wrist and mauled him with its claws. “A voice, which must have come from God, whispered to me to drop the panga (machete) and thrust my hand in its wide-open mouth. I obeyed,” M’Mburugu said.

As the leopard was dying, a neighbor heard the screams and arrived to finish it off with a machete. M’Mburugu was toasted as a hero in his village afterwards. He was also given free hospital treatment by astonished local authorities.

“This guy is very lucky to be alive,” a Kenya Wildlife Service official told Reuters, confirming the incident.